D202 Makalali Private Game Reserve, 1380, South Africa
Per Person Sharing
Makalali Private Game Reserve
Garonga Safari Camp offers a relaxing and holistic experience in beautiful surroundings. The camp reflects the surroundings of the bush's textured earthy colours and clean lines have been incorporated with fine linen to ensure pure comfort. This is truly a "Safari for the Soul".
Situated in the Greater Makalali Private Game Reserve (22 000 hectares) Garonga's philosophy is to offer a distinct, unhurried and intimate wildlife encounter, allowing you the time to reflect and find inspiration in nature. This private nature reserve boasts the Big 5 which guests can experience up close on our exhilarating morning and afternoon game drives - the heart of the Garonga experience. You can either try your hand at every activity we have on offer, or you can do simply nothing at all, lazing in the hammock with a good book while watching the grazing impala.
Facilities on site include an outdoor swimming pool complete with a deck, loungers and a barbecue area, complimentary wireless internet, an indoor and covered outdoor lounge, self service bar (most drinks are included in the rate), wine cellar, library and curio shop. Activities such as an early morning and afternoon game drive with our expert guides and trackers allows our guests to experience the wide variety of animals in our nature reserve. A safari walk with a game ranger is another highlights, bringing our guests up close to the fauna and flora of the reserve. Additional activities on offer include a bush bath, a sleep out in the bush on a platform deck, a massage under a sala overlooking the riverbed, picnics up in a tree and boma dinners under the stars.
The accommodation at Garonga Safari Camp comprises of six en-suite luxury tents ideally positioned in this exquisite safari landscape. Each of the six en-suite luxury tents is sculpted out of rough-plastered walls and overarching canvas tents. The tents overlook a dry riverbed, and have a wooden deck complete with hammock that commands spectacular views. The rooms are light, airy and spacious with large, draped beds and indoor/outdoor showers.
The Makalali Conservancy is a private Big Five nature reserve extending 22 000 hectares in span, just outside of the Kruger National Park, South Africa.
The two local airports are Hoedspruit or Phalaborwa; we are 75 minutes drive from each. The Drakensburg Mountains perform a back drop to the reserve. We are close to the Hans Merensky Golf Club in Phalaborwa or the Tzaneen Country Lodge Golf Course.
D202 Makalali Private Game Reserve, 1380, South Africa
Self Drive Directions Allow 6 hours from Johannesburg
Not advisable to travel in darkness.
You will need approximately R250.00 cash for toll roads.
Petrol stations do not take credit cards. Cash only.
Please phone the camp if you think you will be later than advertised. (082 440 3522).
Please ensure you find out from reservations how long you should allow for a journey if travelling from somewhere other than Johannesburg.
Ensure you have a mobile phone. You can rent them at the airport.
The roads are good and there are plenty of petrol stations on route. Most are 24 hours. Option One
Take the N1 to Polokwane (Old name Pietersburg). Just before Polokwane (Old name Pietersburg)take the R71 towards Tzaneen. Carry on until just past Haenertsburg, then turn right. Keeping on the R71/R526 all the way until Tzaneen. Keep straight on the R71 past Tzaneen straight past Gravelotte - this is the R526 to Mica. From Gravelotte, measure 18 kilometers. On the right side of the road close to the dirt road entrance you will see "Zander Osmers Safaris"; 500 m after this you will see "Garonga Safari Camp" sign on the right hand side on the dirt road. Turn right and follow the arrows marked on a Black Sign with a bronze arrow. You will see the first one after about 3 Kms. Option Two
From Johannesburg take the N4 past Witbank, turn off the N4 to Belfast. From Belfast go through Dullstroom towards Lydenburg, through Lydenburg and Origstad. After going through the JG Strijdom Tunnel measure 10 km then turn left on the R36 towards Tzaneen. Travel 10 km on the R36 then turn right at the Phalaborwa sign - travel for about 25 km. Turn left at the "T" junction. Drive past Mica village, just the other side of Mica, turn left towards Tzaneen/Gravelotte onto the R71. Measure 15 km from the turn off, then you will see a Garonga Safari Camp sign on the left hand side of the road. Turn left onto the dirt road and follow signs to the lodge. Dirt Road Directions:
On coming off the main Public Road please phone +27 (0) 82 440 3522 for the pass number to open the remote Control gate later on. You are more than welcome to phone earlier if you wish.
1. Follow the main dirt road down for 3 (Three) kms and then you come to the railway line.
2. Follow the Black Direction arrow board to Garonga by turning right keeping the railway line on your left. Follow this for 2 (Two) kms.
3. You then turn left over the railway crossing and go straight ahead through a "Boom Fence" (this is a fence on either side of the track). Follow this for 3 (Three) kms.
4. You then come to the Garonga remote Control fence (please note timings of operation below in Point 9). You will have been given the Pass number by the Camp once you phoned them when you turned off the main Public Road on to the Dirt Road. Press in the number and the gate should open. Please do ensure the gate closes behind you before proceeding.
5. Once through the gate ensure the gate closes, and then turn left down the dirt road keeping the fence on your left. Follow this for 3 (Three) kms.
6. You then come to a Small Guard House and a gate barrier. The Guard will then check you in.
7. Continue to follow the black metal signs to the main Camp - 6 (six) Kms
8. The trip should take you about 40 Minutes from the Tar (Public ) Road to the Camp.
9. Remote Control Gate Timings of operation: 0600 - 1730 hrs. If arriving later than this time please ensure the Camp knows well in advance (24 Hours minimum). Access is restricted outside of these times. The latest we can open the gate is 1930 hrs but only if we receive prior notice.
LODGE NUMBER = 082 440 3522
NB : GATES CLOSE AT 18H00 ? NO EXCEPTIONS !!
Please leave your details to ensure we can contact you back in case you don't reach us.